Westview’s staff recognizes and values each student’s unique abilities. Westview’s program offerings and high expectations for students maximize student achievement and ensure the integration of knowledge and skills relevant to the 21st century. Westview provides and delivers a curriculum that engages and challenges all students while providing authentic, real world experiences that prepares all students to succeed in a diverse, global society.
In addition, a Positive Behavioral Intervention and Supports system (PBIS) is in place at Westview to promote a learning environment that is safe, respectful and responsible. Monthly assemblies reinforce the desired behaviors and students are rewarded positively when appropriate behaviors are in place. A well-organized, positive learning environment encourages and supports all areas of student achievement.
Over the last three school years:
- Westview is a Green School-with Emerald status! We have received awards over the last three consecutive years, twice at the Evergreen level and in 2012-2013.
- Westview is proud to have Mrs. Susan Simpson, 2012-2013 Macomb County Teacher of the Year on staff.
- Westview continues its Ipad classroom technology initiative. E beam technology is implemented in common areas in first through fourth grade.
- Two Westview teachers have received awarded grants through the Extra Credit Union and three teachers received grants through the Assistance League to classroom support teaching and learning.
- Several charitable fundraisers have been held over the last three years including Pennies for Pasta, Pop Tops for Ronald McDonald House, Trick or Treat for Unicef, Toys for Children’s Hospital, Jump Rope for Heart, Shamrocks for Muscular Dystrophy, and Collections for the Humane Society.
- We partner with Extra Credit Union, Macomb Community College, Catholic Social Services, and Wayne State University to support teaching and learning at Westview.
Westview Elementary … Where parents, students, and teachers are invested in student success.
The Westview Elementary community will provide all students with the opportunity to achieve maximum academic and social potential. All learning will occur within a safe, respectful, and responsible environment in preparation for a diverse, ever-changing global society.
- Education is to be shared by students, home, school, and community
- Students’ experiences and opportunities provide a foundation for learning
- Children will rise to high expectations
- Positive attitudes create a positive learning environment and
- Our staff applies research-based strategies and learns through professional development to enhance student achievement
Home School Partnership
The home-school connection is a high priority at Westview. Throughout the school year a wide variety of parent meetings are scheduled to familiarize parents with everything from curriculum and assessment to school-wide discipline. We value parents being our partners in fostering student achievement. Parents are encouraged to volunteer at school, join our parent group – PEP (Parents, Educators and Pupils), visit classrooms and participate in district-wide committees. Parent newsletters provide tips and strategies that can be used to support children at home.